Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday, February 9, 2009

They did do the CT scan and found a blockage above the current stint and new leisons in her liver. The liver has stopped functioning, but it is hopeful it will start again after the stint replacement.

I just spoke with the GI surgeon and he said they pulled out the plastic stint and put in a wider, longer metal stint (8mm x 80mm). It goes the entire length of the common bile duct. He said that there was a lot more closed duct than before and a little pus. They are going to try and sample the fluid in the abdomen this afternoon and probably send Mother home tomorrow. She will be on antibiotics for several days, but the surgeon seemed optimistic about her feeling better again ... even though he did say that her disease was now quite advanced.

I spoke with a nurse earlier, who seemed quite knowledgeable, and she would not guess how much longer Mother might have. So I guessed a month or two for her and she said that seemed reasonable based on a good surgical outcome and Mother's general condition.

Judy had a little scare coming out of the anesthesia. She asked where I was and nobody in recovery seemed to know, so she began to fear that I had had an accident coming to the hospital and had been hurt. She wanted me to be there to care for here and was crying when she came into the room.

She had been scheduled for her surgery at 8:30 AM. After leaving the house at 7:00 AM and dropping Jana Vaye off at the airport (for a 9:00 AM flight) I hurried to get to the hospital. I was pleased when I arrived at 7:23 AM. Problem is, they actually took Mother out at 8:00 AM. I checked in with the nursing station when Mother was not in her room and told them that I would be waiting in Mother's room for her to return. The message apparently never got to the recovery room staff.

1 comment:

luvbug said...

Your family is definitely in my prayers! I have been thinking of you and Judy a case you don't know who I am, I am friends with Sheri. (smile)